Monday, April 28, 2008

Diabetes Solutions Poker Run

Last Saturday was the first annual poker run to benefit Diabetes Solution of Oklahoma. I was there, working the silent auction table and just helping out in general. I didn't bring my camera, but I did snap a few pictures with my phone. Also, thanks to Sharon (another volunteer) for some of these pictures, as I borrowed them from her facebook album. 

Riders lined up early to register for the run. The majority were cruiser riders, though there were a few sport bikes and sport tourers in the mix too.

A group of Honda Goldwings all showed up together, sporting patches on their jackets from the Oklahoma Goldwing Club. I didn't even realize Goldwing riders had their own clubs...
The Thunder Roadhouse, where the run started, is a restaurant and bar, with a custom chopper shop attached. They had some of their bikes out for display.
There was a bit of a lull while the riders were out riding, so I took some of the volunteers for some quick joyrides. That's Casey riding pillion, asking me where she's supposed to hold on. 
Boyd was very excited to have the winning bid on one of the silent auction items, a special date night including an 8 hour limo ride, a meal at a fancy restaurant, and a night in the Skervin Hotel, in downtown Oklahoma City. He planned on using it on his upcoming wedding night. 
A group of riders posing after finishing the route.

Over all, the Poker run went very well. We had a turn out of just under 100 bikes and raised over $7,000 for Diabetes Solutions. Not bad for a first time. 

0 comments:

Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory